Pope affirms Vatican commitment to two-state solution

02 December 2025, The Tablet

An Israeli security barrier in Bethlehem, whose mayor last week warned of growing threats from illegal settlers

Magnus Höij / flickr | Creative Commons

The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem prayed ‘for the Christians who live in war or conflict zones, and especially in the Middle East, that they may be seeds of peace, reconciliation and hope’.

The two-state solution “is the only solution” to the conflict in the Holy Land, Pope Leo said in his first in-flight press conference.

Responding to questions on his flight from Istanbul to Beirut as he continued his apostolic journey to Lebanon on 30 November, the Pope confirmed that he and Turkey’s President Recep Tayep Erdoğan had discussed Gaza and Ukraine during private talks in Ankara.

“The Holy See has for several years publicly supported the proposal of a two-state solution. We all know that at present Israel still does not accept this solution,” he said.  “We are also friends of Israel, and we are trying to act as a mediating voice for both sides, helping to bring about a solution that is fair for everyone”.

He was speaking the day after the United Nations’ International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People on 29 November, which faith groups marked around the world. More than 100,000 people marched through Central London last Saturday, with Quakers leading silent worship in advance at the London Jesuit Centre. Major European cities involved included Athens, Paris, and Milan, as well as more than 40 cities in Spain, including Madrid and Barcelona.

In a message, the UN Secretary General António Guterres emphasised Palestinians’ right to dignity, justice and self-determination, praising their resilience as an inspiration for the international community in pursuing peace.

Embrace the Middle East published a prayer for the day: “In a world full of violence, hate and injustice, may you keep our hearts pure and fill us with imagination for the ways of peace. Help us to hold all those who call Palestine and Israel home in our hearts and give us courage and opportunities to speak up for justice and a future in which all peoples can thrive.”

Pax Christi International marked the day by sharing updates from Amjad Al-Mhalwi, a civilian in Gaza who regularly exchanges messages with Doug Hostetter, Pax Christi International’s UN Representative.

“We need everyone’s help to assure that this ceasefire holds, and Israel is forced to end the occupation of Gaza so that Gazans can rebuild a free and peaceful country,” he said.

Less than two months after the 20-point peace deal brokered by US President Donald Trump took effect in Gaza, Israeli strikes continue and have killed at least 352 Palestinians 10 October, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.  These include two young brothers killed in a drone strike on 29 November close to a school sheltering displaced people near Beni Suhaila.

In the West Bank, the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem prayed last week “for the Christians who live in war or conflict zones, and especially in the Middle East, that they may be seeds of peace, reconciliation and hope”.  It announced the cancellation of school debts for 20,000 students from its schools across the region.

The Mayor of Bethlehem joined Kairos Palestine to urge people around the world to write a letter to elected representatives and Church leaders asking them to put pressure on the Israeli government to stop the illegal settlement of Shidma taking Palestinian land and homes at Beit Sahour, in the Bethlehem area.

The two-state solution – Israelis and Palestinians need a land to call their own

Prayers for two-state solution on ‘Invocation for Peace’ anniversary

Stay updated — add us as a preferred news source on Google:

Add as a preferred source on Google
Article end