India’s Catholic bishops met Prime Minister Narinder Modi on July 12 to congratulate him on his electoral victory and express concerns over the increasing attacks against Christians.
Congratulating Modi on assuming the office of the prime minister for the third successive time, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India (CBCI) delegation assured him of the Christian community’s commitment towards contributing to the nation’s development.
They spoke of issues plaguing Christians more specially the sectarian strife in Manipur and the increased attacks on the community, Archbishop Andrews Thazhath, CBCI president, told reporters after the meeting.
Modi told them that his government was taking all steps to ensure peace in Manipur but claimed “it is an ethnic conflict and it does not have a communal colour”.
Violence in Manipur since May 3, last year, between Hindu Meiteis and mostly Christian Kuki-Zo tribes has claimed more than 220 lives, displaced over 67,000 people and torched over 500 churches besides houses and educational institutes.
When the bishops expressed their “anguish” over the increasing hate crimes on Christians and their institutions. Modi said that the perpetrators of the violence were “fringe groups and not the (pro Hindu) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) or the government.”
“There have been several cases of harassment and attacks with false accusations of forced conversions and the misuse of anti-conversion laws. We wish to make it clear that the Church is firmly opposed to forced conversions,” the CBCI said in the memorandum submitted to the premier, detailing these and other concerns.
On the much-awaited papal visit to India, Modi said he had extended an invitation to the Holy Father twice. Once during the G20 summit in Italy last year and again at the G7 summit in June 2024.
He said the papal office will have to work out the modalities for the visit.
On the issue of extending reservation benefits in jobs and higher learning institutions for Christian Dalits and retaining reservations for the tribals, who have converted into Christianity, Modi did not give any clear answers, the prelate said.
Reiterating the Christian community’s significant contributions, particularly in education and healthcare, the CBCI chief told Modi that several Christian-run NGOs face undue challenges in renewing their licenses to receive foreign funds to feed orphans, run hospitals and educate children.
Since Modi took office in 2014, the Indian government has revoked permission for more than 16,000 nongovernmental organizations, including World Vision, to receive foreign funding, using the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA).
The memorandum to Modi also highlighted the absence of Christian representation in the national commissions for minorities and minority educational institutions for several years.
The delegation comprised: besides Archbishop Thazhath, other CBCI office bearers: vice-president Bishop Joseph Mar Thomas of Bathery; secretary-general Archbishop Anil Joseph Thomas Couto of Delhi and deputy secretary general Father Mathew Koyickal.
Describing the meeting as cordial, the prelate said the prime minister spoke freely and spent 45 minutes with the delegation.

MOST READ ARTICLES
1
Archbishop of Cardiff-Menevia meets with other worldwide Catholic Church leaders to discuss liturgy
2
Let there be light
3
World Humanitarian Day: aid workers face a ‘crisis of protection’
4
Ruling allows French private hospitals limited exemption from assisted suicide
5
A tract for our times
6
The wisdom of the saints
FROM THE EDITOR'S DESK