A South Sudanese bishop called the violence in the Sudanese city of El Fasher “a tragedy”, after at least 1,500 people died in massacres by rebel forces.
The Rapid Support Forces (RSF) captured El Fasher last month and have been accused of atrocities in the weeks since. The Bishop of Bentiu Christian Carlassare MCCI, whose diocese borders Sudan, said the perpetrators were stealing twice from their victims.
“They are stealing peace and then the natural resources. We are witnessing the exploitation of these resources to continue the conflict,” he said.
Describing the violence as a “genocidal slaughter”, he demanded an end to international neglect of the atrocities, described in a New Humanitarian analysis as “mass killings on a devastating scale, potentially the worst seen in Sudan’s more than two-and-a-half-year war”.
The Sudan Doctors Network accused the RSF of engaging in a “desperate attempt” to conceal evidence of mass killings in Darfur by burning bodies or burying them in mass graves. In a statement Sunday, the group warned the group’s crimes could not be “erased through concealment or burning”.
It continued: “What happened in El Fasher is not an isolated incident but rather another chapter in a full-fledged genocide carried out by the RSF, blatantly violating all international and religious norms that prohibit the mutilation of corpses and guarantee the dead the right to a dignified burial.”
According to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), at least 82,000 of El Fasher’s total population of 260,000 have fled the region. Among them is the Revd Daramali Abudigin, an Anglican priest who was the last Christian minister in the city.
The Episcopal Church of Sudan (ECS) reported last week that he had escaped the city, more than a month after RSF gunmen attacked his church, forcing him to flee. It told the Anglican Diocese of Leeds, which supports the ECS, that he had reached the city of Tawila, west of El Fasher, where he was helping organise the evacuation of displaced South Sudanese back to South Sudan.
Civil war and global neglect worsen tragedy of Darfur landslide
‘Do not look away’ – the tragedy of the conflict that began two years ago in Sudan

MOST READ ARTICLES
1
Archbishop of Cardiff-Menevia meets with other worldwide Catholic Church leaders to discuss liturgy
2
Let there be light
3
World Humanitarian Day: aid workers face a ‘crisis of protection’
4
Ruling allows French private hospitals limited exemption from assisted suicide
5
A tract for our times
6
The wisdom of the saints
FROM THE EDITOR'S DESK