- Profits before people
The last 30 years have been characterised by a growing dependence on private companies to provide public services but there has been a human and economic cost to letting the market determine price
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Church in Ireland threatens to pull out of civil element of marriages
- Judge rejects adjudicator's "flawed approach" and rules in favour of London Oratory
- St Mary’s and Heythrop enter “final discussions” over landmark Catholic higher education deal
- Political parties pledge support for persecuted Christians but lukewarm on faith schools
- Palestinian Christians’ nine-year battle against the Israeli Wall Fr Paul Lansu
- The nation-changing issue no party is talking about Denis MacShane
- Ordinariate needs to integrate into the Church Fr Ashley Beck
Pope Francis today appointed Bishop Joseph Toal as the new Bishop of Motherwell.
Bishop Toal, 57, currently leads the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles and has been apostolic administrator of the diocese of Motherwell since May 2013.
On learning of his appointment he said: “Over the past 11 months, I have come to know the Diocese of Motherwell and appreciate the warmth and generosity of the clergy and laity, I look forward to deepening that relationship with them. While I am sad to be leaving my home diocese of Argyll and the Isles, I know the deep faith of the people there will sustain them as they await a new Bishop and I ask them to pray for me as I prepare to translate to the Diocese of Motherwell.”
His appointment to Motherwell leaves a vacancy in Argyll and the Isles, leaving two Scottish dioceses in need of bishops.
The Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia, President of the Scottish bishops’ conference, said: “While sympathising with the priests and people of the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles on the transfer of their much loved and respected bishop, I welcome the nomination of Bishop Joseph Toal as the new Bishop of Motherwell and I wish him every blessing in his new appointment.”