- Who will inherit the earth?
World leaders meet in Paris on Monday for the latest round of talks on reducing carbon emissions. Differences between rich and poor countries threaten the search for solutions
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Pope in Africa: Corruption is present in all parts of life 'including the Vatican', Francis tells young people
- Pope praises “ecumenism of blood” of Anglican and Catholic martyrs in Uganda
- Francis arrives in Uganda calling for transparent governance
- Pope in Africa: Francis goes to the slums and denounces faceless elites who exclude the poor
- Pope in Africa: Francis' trip to Africa the most profound of messages to climate change conference in Paris Christopher Lamb in Nairobi
- Any peace plan for Syria must involve a secular society - and that means Assad is an option John Eibner
- Depriving Isis of a home is key to victory, but the West must avoid humiliating Muslims in defeat Clifford Longley
Pope Francis today appointed Bishop Joseph Toal as the new Bishop of Motherwell.
Bishop Toal, 57, currently leads the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles and has been apostolic administrator of the diocese of Motherwell since May 2013.
On learning of his appointment he said: “Over the past 11 months, I have come to know the Diocese of Motherwell and appreciate the warmth and generosity of the clergy and laity, I look forward to deepening that relationship with them. While I am sad to be leaving my home diocese of Argyll and the Isles, I know the deep faith of the people there will sustain them as they await a new Bishop and I ask them to pray for me as I prepare to translate to the Diocese of Motherwell.”
His appointment to Motherwell leaves a vacancy in Argyll and the Isles, leaving two Scottish dioceses in need of bishops.
The Archbishop of Glasgow, Philip Tartaglia, President of the Scottish bishops’ conference, said: “While sympathising with the priests and people of the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles on the transfer of their much loved and respected bishop, I welcome the nomination of Bishop Joseph Toal as the new Bishop of Motherwell and I wish him every blessing in his new appointment.”