- Who will inherit the earth?
World leaders meet in Paris on Monday for the latest round of talks on reducing carbon emissions. Differences between rich and poor countries threaten the search for solutions
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Pope in Africa: Corruption is present in all parts of life 'including the Vatican', Francis tells young people
- Francis arrives in Uganda calling for transparent governance
- Pope in Africa: Francis goes to the slums and denounces faceless elites who exclude the poor
- Pope in Africa: Failure to get agreement in Paris would be 'catastrophic' for the planet, Pope tells UN
- Pope in Africa: Francis' trip to Africa the most profound of messages to climate change conference in Paris Christopher Lamb in Nairobi
- Any peace plan for Syria must involve a secular society - and that means Assad is an option John Eibner
- Depriving Isis of a home is key to victory, but the West must avoid humiliating Muslims in defeat Clifford Longley
The Catholic pop band that wrote the anthem for Benedict XVI’s papal visit to the UK have been disinvited from playing at London’s biggest Catholic youth gathering amid controversy over their new music video about clerical abuse.
Catholic Underground withdrew their invitation to the band, Ooberfuse, from headlining its March meeting at St Aloysius’ Church in Euston, north London. Organisers said they made the decision because the video to a new song by the band, “March of the Downtrodden”, painted a negative image of the Church’s handing of the abuse scandal.
Catholic Underground gatherings begin with Eucharistic adoration and evening prayer, followed by praise and worship, and performances by Christian artists.
The video features quotes from abuse victims’ testimony alongside images of distressed children, St Peter’s Basilica in Rome, and clergy.
In a letter the Catholic Underground Service Team told the band that the video “failed to highlight the work the Church has done to combat child abuse and if anything portrays a worse image than the mainstream media”. The team noted that the video had been prompted “by the UN's report of the Church's handling of child abuse – a report widely condemned in Catholic circles as being very anti-Catholic”.
Organisers said that the “negative” stance taken by the video would damage Catholic Underground’s “positive” mission. While they said criticism of the Church was essential, they added: “this is not the correct platform and means by which to do it”.
Ooberfuse said they were “saddened” by the decision. Responding to the organisers in a statement they also published on their website, they said: “Many victims have been forbidden to tell their stories because of legal compromise agreements ie other regular channels of communication have been foreclosed. Given the silencing strategies of clergy abusers and their protectors, we are not aware there are many other means by which to address this topic.”
The band added: “When you say our video does ‘completely the opposite’ of evangelisation, we take it you understand evangelisation in the narrow sense of proselytising, ie public apologetics for the institutional Church.”
The band also explained that the point of the video was to disturb and to tell the story of clerical sexual abuse from the point of view of the victim.
You can watch “March of the downtrodden” here.
WARNING: this video features disturbing and explicit images and quotes. It is not suitable for children.