- When the dream becomes a nightmare
It was ranked alongside Russia, India and China as an emerging global economic powerhouse but now the pillaging of Brazil’s natural resources, corruption at the highest levels and a crippling drought is threatening that status
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Vatican condemns leaking of expenses details of Pell’s Secretariat for the Economy
- Adjust your expectations of Pope Francis ‘radical revolution’, warns Cardinal Kasper
- Islamic State ‘begins to kill’ the more than 350 Christians abducted from north-east Syria
- Homeless man who attended Mass daily buried in Vatican cemetery
In what can only be read as a rebuke to certain traditionalists, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has stated that he freely and validly resigned last year from the papacy.
“There is absolutely no doubt regarding the validity of my resignation from the Petrine ministry,” he told the Italian daily, La Stampa.
He said any “speculations” or doubts surrounding the validity of his resignation were “simply absurd”.
A traditionalist Italian journalist, Antonio Socci, recently questioned the canonical validity of Benedict XVI's historic resignation, saying he had probably been forced to step down against to his will.