Bishop deplores ‘intimidation and violence’ in West Bank as Christian village threatened

10 May 2026, The Tablet

The Church of St George in Taybeh, West Bank, during the coordination of episcopal conferences in support of the Holy Land, January 2026.

© Mazur/cbcew.org.uk

The community of Taybeh reported on 7 May that Israeli settlers had established a new illegal settlement on their land and threatened to kill anyone who returned to their property.

Bishop James Curry, lead bishop for the Holy Land of the Catholic bishops’ conference of England and Wales, has condemned the rise in Israeli settler violence in the West Bank.

He warned that the latest attack on Taybeh, the only entirely Palestinian Christian village in the West Bank, is “not an isolated incident”.

“This pattern of intimidation and violence too often goes unaddressed,” said Bishop Curry, who visited Taybeh during the coordination of bishops’ conferences in support of the Holy Land in January.

Bishop Curry also said that the bishops of England and Wales repeatedly raise these concerns directly with the UK government, and urged everyone to use their influence to speak up for Palestinians’ rights.

On 7 May the community of Taybeh reported that Israeli settlers had established a new illegal settlement on their land and threatened to kill anyone who returned to their property.

“When I visited Taybeh in January, I was deeply concerned to learn about the rising tide of settler attacks carried out in and around the village,” Bishop Curry continued.

“This recent attack highlights the continued plight of the Christians, and their neighbours, who belong to the land and only wish to live in peace with dignity.

“The danger is that such violence only deepens division and makes the prospect of peace and security unattainable.”

There are at least four illegal Israeli settlements in Taybeh, along with several emerging outposts, according to Al Jazeera. Locals say settlers have seized nearby hilltops and displaced their livestock.

Bishop Curry quoted the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa: “Force cannot be the ultimate horizon, nor can it serve as the foundation on which to build a peaceful future.”

“It is easy to feel helpless and not know what to do in the face of these repeated attacks, but we must not be discouraged,” Bishop Curry said.

“Prayers and words of concern are important, they need also to be accompanied by concrete action. One such action is solidarity through encounter.

“I encourage Christians in England and Wales to continue supporting the communities of the Holy Land through pilgrimage and presence.

“Visiting places such as Taybeh, when it is safe to do so, will help you to stand in solidarity with local families and businesses as they face increasing intimidation and economic pressures that risk driving them out of their homeland.

“I urge all those with influence and responsibility to do everything possible to prevent further violence and uphold the dignity and rights of all people in the Holy Land.”

Meanwhile, reports surfaced on 2 May that the Israeli army had damaged a convent belonging to the Basilian Salvatorian Sisters, a Greek Catholic order, near the village of Yaroun in southern Lebanon.

The IDF admitted having caused the damage in a statement, but said they had not been aware that the convent, which used to run a school and a clinic before the war, was a religious building.

Israel carried out another wave of airstrikes on southern Lebanon last week. Pope Leo XIV video-called ten priests in the region on Wednesday and reassured them of his prayers and support.

Fr Toni Elias, parish priest of Rmeish, told Vatican News Pope Leo’s call “was a breath of hope and trust that was much needed”.

Stay updated — add us as a preferred news source on Google:

Add as a preferred source on Google
Article end