28 June 2018, The Tablet

Pope accepts resignations of two more Chilean bishops


Latest development in country’s sex abuse scandal comes after all 31 of Chile’s active bishops offered to resign last month


Pope accepts resignations of two more Chilean bishops

Pope Francis poses for photo with Chilean bishops at the Vatican May 17
Photo: Photo: CNS/Vatican Media

Pope Francis has accepted the resignations of two more Chilean bishops, as the sexual abuse scandal continues to rock the South American country.

The Vatican press office today revealed that Bishop Alejandro Goic Karmelic, 78, from the diocese of Rancagua, had his resignation accepted “for reasons of having reached the age limit” for retirement.

From the diocese of Talca, Pope Francis also accepted the resignation of Bishop Horacio del Carmen Valenzuela Abarca, 64. The bishops will be replaced temporarily with Msgr Luis Fernando Ramos Pérez, and Msgr Galo Fernández Villaseca respectively, both auxiliary bishops of Santiago de Chile.

The resignations are the latest developments in the scandal which last month saw all of Chile’s 31 active bishops offering to resign over their collective failure to protect Chile’s children from priests who committed abuse, including rape.

On 13 June, police and prosecutors raided Catholic Church offices in two Chilean cities looking for documents and investigative reports related to the sex abuse scandal that has rocked the country.

The raids took place at the headquarters of the Ecclesiastical Court in Santiago, and the bishop’s office in Rancagua, in the O’Higgins region where 14 priests are accused of having had sexual relations with minors.

The developments came as two leading Vatican investigators, Archbishop Charles Scicluna, and Spanish Monsignor Jordi Bertomeu, are in Chile to investigate the sexual abuse of minors committed by clergy.

Scicluna and Bertomeu earlier this year put together a 2,300-page report that led the Pope to realise that he had misjudged the situation in Chile and to concede that he had made “grave mistakes” in previously defending Bishop Barros of Osorno, who is at the centre of cover up claims.

Earlier this month, Francis accepted the resignation of Barros, along with that of Archbishop Cristián Caro Cordero of Puerto Montt and Bishop Gonzalo Duarte García de Cortázar of Valparaíso. The Pope named a temporary leader for each diocese.

Barros, 61, has been the subject of intense controversy since Francis appointed him bishop of Osorno in 2015 despite objections from local Catholics, the Pope’s own sex abuse prevention advisers and certain other bishops in Chile.

In a letter addressed to Chile's bishops and released by the Vatican in April, Francis said he had made “serious mistakes in the assessment and perception of the situation, especially due to a lack of truthful and balanced information”.

The Pope’s extraordinary apology came after a number of victims alleged that, while a priest, Barros had witnessed them being abused by his mentor, Fr Fernando Karadima.

Karadima denied the charges. But in 2011, he was sentenced by the Vatican to a life of prayer and penance after being found guilty of sexually abusing boys. 

Protesters and victims said that Barros was present during some of the abuse and is guilty of protecting Karadima.

Pope Francis visited Chile in January and asked for forgiveness over abuse by some priests in the country, saying: “I feel bound to express my pain and shame at the irreparable damage caused to children by some of the ministers of the Church.”

However, he caused controversy when he told reporters later: “The day they bring me proof against Bishop Barros, I will speak. There is not one piece of evidence against him. It is calumny.”


  Loading ...
Get Instant Access
Subscribe to The Tablet for just £7.99

Subscribe today to take advantage of our introductory offers and enjoy 30 days' access for just £7.99