24 April 2018
Toronto Archbishop calls for prayer after van ploughs into pedestrians, killing 10
The suspected driver, Alek Minassian, 25, was arrested about a mile and a half south of where the pedestrians were struck
The Archbishop of Toronto has called on Catholics to join him in praying after at least ten people were killed and 15 injured in Toronto on Monday when a man drove a rented van into crowds of pedestrians on a pavement.
"I invite the Catholic community across the Archdiocese of Toronto to join me in offering our prayers for all those who were killed and injured in the violent incident earlier today,” Cardinal Thomas Collins and the Archdiocese of Toronto said in a statement released on 23 April.
The Cardinal said that he will be asking all 225 Catholic churches in the Archdiocese of Toronto to “offer special prayer intentions this week for all those who have suffered”.
“Let us all unite in our efforts to bring comfort and care to those who are hurting today", the statement continued.
According to witness reports, the white rental van mounted the pavement and drove into pedestrians along a 2km stretch.
The driver, Alek Minassian, 25, was charged on Tuesday in court with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.
Mr Minassian was not previously known to authorities and is not thought to belong to any terrorist groups, officials have said.
He will return to court on 10 May.
PICTURE: Policemen investigate the site where a van struck pedestrians in Toronto, Canada, April 23, 2018 ©PA
Sign up for our newsletterSign Up
Manage my subcription hereManage