- Special relations
For the Jewish people it is entirely fitting that the two popes should be honoured together by being canonised at the same time, for both transformed the relationship between Catholics and their ‘older brothers’, the Jews
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Nick Clegg says he is agnostic 'at the moment – but faith is not something I would close my heart or my mind to'
- Spokesman plays down speculation that Pope Emeritus, 87, will attend canonisations of his predecessors
- Papal phonecalls do not change church teaching, says Vatican after Francis' chat with woman married to divorcee
- Message to readers: Robert Mickens
- Student Cross: bringing the Passion to life0 Dominique Gelder Smith
- Living in religious community you see the devil at work1 Dame Catherine Wybourne OSB
- Archbishop Welby, is a healthy church always a growing one?1 Christopher Lamb
Texts, speeches, homilies
Six years after the financial crash that led to the global recession, inequality has only deepened and a vision for a new financial regime has yet to be discovered. So said Cardinal Peter Turkson, head of the Vatican's Council for Justice and Peace, at a lecture at the London School of Economics on 6 February. In it he called for a "inclusive and sustainable" global economy in which rich and poor nations alike are integrated and work together on issues from trade to education to health. He also reiterated his office's controversial 2011 call for a global authority to regulate the global economy, the introduction of a tax on financial transactions and clearer delineation between investment and high street banks.
He charged: "We must set aside familiar nostrums about invisible hands and unseen forces that largely leave out the vast majority, ignore the natural environment, and support the status quo." Quoting Pope Francis, he nonetheless added: “A crisis can become a time of purification and a time to rethink our socio-economic models and of a certain understanding of progress that fed illusions, in order to recover what is most fully human.”
Read his lecture here.