- Battle lines drawn
This week produced the clearest evidence yet that the Synod Fathers are sharply divided between those who are supporting Pope Francis in his efforts to present a more pastoral vision of the Church and those determined first and foremost to emphasise its moral teaching
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Report finds 'systemic failures' by C of E over allegations of abuse by former dean
- Middle East must keep its Christians, says Vatican calling for scrutiny of Islamists' funding
- Nichols says synod is opening pathways for divorced and remarried
- Francis to visit Istanbul's Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque as concerns over treatment of Christians resurface
- Synod final document is a setback for Francis' reforms – for now Elena Curti in Rome
- Curious muddle of Lectionary translations Philip Endean SJ
- Annulments can be far from merciful Bill Wright
The Tablet Lectures
Bishop Kevin Dowling
"From South to North: lessons for the Church from the developing world"
Born in Pretoria and ordained as a Redemptorist priest in 1967 Kevin Dowling was appointed the Bishop of Rustenburg in 1990. He has ministered in various parts of South Africa, including townships in Cape Town and Pretoria and has been at the forefront of the Church’s response to the HIV/Aids pandemic.
“Shaping the Papacy in a Changing World”
From John Paul II to Pope Francis
Robert Mickens has been The Tablet’s Rome correspondent from 2001 to 2003 and from 2005 to the present and writer of the paper’s popular weekly column, “Letter from Rome”. He is regularly featured as a Vatican-affairs analyst for the BBC in Great Britain, ABC in Australia and National Public Radio in the United States
Robert Blair Kaiser
“Stories of Vatican II: The Human Side of the Council”
Robert Blair Kaiser - American author and journalist, prizewinning correspondent for Time magazine at the Second Vatican Council and the author of five books on Vatican II and its aftermath.
The Most Rev Vincent Nichols Archbishop of Westminster
“Holiness Today: The Formation of the Human Heart” An exploration of the models of and quest for holiness in contemporary society.
The Most Rev Vincent Nichols Archbishop of Westminster, president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales
“An Ambassador’s perspective on the Vatican – a retrospective look over the past five years”
Francis Campbell - British Ambassador to the Holy See
Gerald O'Collins SJ
"Prodigal sons and daughters: my dreams for the future of the Church"
Research Professor in Theology at St Mary's University College, Twickenham, and Emeritus Professor of the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome.