12 September 2016
Catholic News Service
Vatican releases details of Pope's trip to Caucasus
Visit to Georgia and Azerbaijan at end of month will be Francis' 16th trip outside of Italy this year
With a focus on relations with the Orthodox and with Muslims, Pope Francis will visit Georgia and Azerbaijan between 30 September - 2 October.
The visit to the Caucasus nations will be Pope Francis' 16th trip outside of Italy. In July, the Vatican had released a list of the pope's scheduled activities during the trip, but without specific times for most events.
Here is the detailed schedule released by the Vatican. All times are local:
Friday, Sept. 30 (Rome, Tbilisi)
- 9am Departure from Rome's Fiumicino Airport.
- 3pm Arrival at Tbilisi International Airport. Welcoming ceremony.
- 3.30pm Courtesy visit to the president of the republic at the presidential palace.
- 4 pm Meeting with government authorities and members of civil society and the diplomatic corps in the courtyard of the presidential palace. Speech by pope.
- 4.40pm Meeting with Orthodox Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia at the patriarchal palace. Speech by patriarch. Speech by pope.
- 6 pm Meeting with Chaldean Catholics at the Church of St. Simon the Tanner. Prayer by pope.
Saturday, Oct. 1 (Tbilisi, Mtskheta)
- 10am Mass at Mikheil Meskhi Stadium. Homily by pope.
- 3.45pm Meeting with priests, men and women religious, seminarians and pastoral workers at the Church of the Assumption. Speech by pope.
- 5pm Meeting with volunteers and people receiving assistance from the Catholic Church near an assistance center run by the Order of St. Camillus. Greeting by pope.
- 6.15pm Visit to the Orthodox patriarchal Svetitskhoveli Cathedral in Mtskheta. Greeting by patriarch. Greeting by pope.
Sunday, Oct. 2 (Tbilisi, Baku)
- 7.55am Farewell ceremony at Tbilisi International Airport.
- 8.10am Departure by plane for Baku, Azerbaijan.
- 9.30am Arrival at Heydar Aliyev International Airport, Baku.
- 10.30am Mass at the Salesian-run Church of the Immaculate Conception in Baku. Homily and Angelus address by pope.
- 12.45pm Lunch with the Salesian community and the papal entourage.
- 3.30pm Official welcoming ceremony in the square of the presidential palace and courtesy visit with the president of the republic.
- 4.30pm Visit to the monument to those who died in the struggle for independence.
- 5pm Meeting with government leaders at the Heydar Aliyev Center. Speech by pope.
- 5.45pm Private meeting with the sheik of Muslims in the Caucasus at the Heydar Aliyev mosque.
- 6pm Interreligious meeting with the sheik and representatives of other religious communities. Speech by pope.
- 7pm Farewell ceremony at Baku airport.
- 7.15pm Departure from Baku airport.
- 10pm Arrival at Rome's Ciampino Airport.
Share this story
Manage my subcription hereManage