- Battle lines drawn
This week produced the clearest evidence yet that the Synod Fathers are sharply divided between those who are supporting Pope Francis in his efforts to present a more pastoral vision of the Church and those determined first and foremost to emphasise its moral teaching
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Report finds 'systemic failures' by C of E over allegations of abuse by former dean
- Middle East must keep its Christians, says Vatican calling for scrutiny of Islamists' funding
- Nichols says synod is opening pathways for divorced and remarried
- Francis to visit Istanbul's Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque as concerns over treatment of Christians resurface
- Synod final document is a setback for Francis' reforms – for now Elena Curti in Rome
- Curious muddle of Lectionary translations Philip Endean SJ
- Annulments can be far from merciful Bill Wright
A 26ft (8m) mural depicting the reconstruction of Buckfast Abbey Church is to be unveiled by its Benedictine monastic community next week.
The painting, which shows the monks rebuilding the church on its original foundation 100 years ago, was designed and painted over three years by Mother Joanna Jamieson, 79, who described it as “the project of [her] life”. She was assisted by Sisterr Mary Stephen CRSS.
The work, which measures 26ft by 18ft and is situated in the Abbey’s Grange Restaurant, takes the form of a window looking out over the rebuilding in progress.
Mother Joanna, who comes from Glasgow, trained as a mural painter at the Glasgow School of Art in the 1950s before she entered Stanbrook Abbey, where she later served two 12-year terms as Abbess.
“It has pushed me to the limit both physically and mentally but there has been a lot of enjoyment in it as well,” she added.
Robin Simon, editor of the British Art Journal, wrote in the Daily Mail: “This is a stupendous work: accomplished, confident, beautifully planned and executed.”
It will be unveiled at a reception next Wednesday.
Above: Mother Joanna and Abbot David Charlesworth with the mural. Photos: Buckfast Abbey