- The night that changed France – and Europe
Catherine Pepinster, John Laurenson
The Vatican has described the atrocities of Friday 13 November as an assault on peace for all humanity. They have also caused a rethink about security, freedom and open borders
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Italian journalists will face trial for Vatileaks II despite court plea to have case dismissed
- Nichols on Syrian refugees: Government should keep welcoming 'victim' refugees
- This Pope has done more for women in the Vatican than any other Pope, says women's author
- Pope Francis appoints two new auxiliary bishops to Westminster
- Depriving Isis of a home is key to victory, but the West must avoid humiliating Muslims in defeat Clifford Longley
- Reflection on the Paris terror attacks: Hatred won’t stop me patting the dog Fr Peter Day
- Has Pope Francis just opened a door for non-Catholics to receive communion? Christopher Lamb in Rome
Italian groups supporting victims of sexual abuse by priests have called for the resignation of Bishop Diego Coletti of the northern diocese of Como after it was discovered that he tried to keep quiet Pope Francis’ laicisation late last year of an abusive priest.
Bishop Coletti, 72, claimed he was acting under the Pope’s instructions, but the families of those abused by the former priest – Marco Mangiacasale – said it was the bishop’s decision to keep the news secret, not the Pope’s.
“Coletti was the one who imposed the obligation of privacy … and now he’s looking for excuses to drag Pope Francis into this,” the families charged.
The Diocese of Como confirmed on 12 February that the Pope had dismissed Mangiacasale, 50, from the clerical state on 11 December, just 11 weeks after the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) concluded a canonical trial against the former priest. A diocesan tribunal sent the case to the CDF after concluding the initial canonical trial on 23 September.
Italian civil authorities had sentenced him to three-and-a-half years of reclusion (first in prison, and currently under house arrest) in spring 2012.
Italy has seen relatively few allegations of abuse by priests, but the Vatican’s former prosecutor on abuse, Mgr Charles Scicluna, has expressed concerns about a “culture of silence” there.