- Pilgrimage to nowhere
There has long been an ambivalence about the man who was both the ultimate betrayer and the means by which God’s plan was fulfilled. The author of a new book visits the lonely place where the renegade apostle took his own life
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Cushley says O’Brien damaged Church’s credibility as new allegations emerge
- German cardinals row over pastoral care of divorced and remarried
- Priests and bishops latest to say English missal translation needs overhaul
- Cardinal mocks FIFA president Sepp Blatter’s claim that FIFA is more influential than religion
- At last, a Grand Mufti taking extremists to task Archbishop Michael Fitzgerald
- Sepp Blatter has scored an own goal taking on religion Jimmy Burns
- The new Missal has failed Bishop Donald Trautman
The cardinal in the Dominican Republic (DR) has clashed with the Jesuits in his country, hitting out at a prominent Jesuit priest who defended the right of Haitians born in the Dominican Republic to claim Dominican nationality.
Cardinal Nicolás López Rodríguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, has said that a court ruling last year preventing the descendants of Haitians from continuing to claim citizenship must be respected.
Thousands of Haitians cross the border illegally into DR, Haiti’s wealthy neighbour, in search of work.
The cardinal called on the Jesuits to stop supporting Fr Mario Serrano, the executive secretary of the DR bishops' commission on Haitian issues. Until 2012 Fr Serrano was director of the Bonó Centre, which works with impoverished Haitians and is at the forefront of support for the right to citizenship of those born in DR.
Cardinal Lopez was videoed at a Mass in January during which he appeared to lose his temper, calling Fr Serrano a left-wing “reprobate” who must be brought under control.
"I must be respected in this country but this person seems to think he’s the Pope," he shouted. Addressing the Jesuit superior in DR, he added: “Tell him to shut up and that’s it.”
The video appeared on Youtube recently.
Cardinal López is also infuriated that Fr Serrano has publicly stated that women who have been raped should be allowed access to an abortion.