- Wanted: a shepherd for the Windy City
One of the most important sees in the United States, Chicago, has to be filled, after Cardinal Francis George declared his wish to resign on the grounds of age and ill-health
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Sudanese Christian mother sentenced to hang for apostasy meets Pope in Vatican
- Calls for Cardinal Brady’s resignation after victim's book reveals role in cover-up of priest's abuse
- Church puts abuse survivors at heart of safeguarding as report discloses 10 years of data
- Paris bishops condemn attacks on synagogues and kosher shop as Jewish exodus gathers pace
A Colombian priest who led a brutal paramilitary group has been captured after going on the run to avoid prison.
Oscar Albeiro Ortiz was convicted of criminal conspiracy in absentia last August, receiving a sentence of 19 years.
He was rearrested on 30 January in the mountainous state of Risaralda.
The sentencing document said that for nearly a decade from 2003, Fr Albeiro ran an organisation engaged in murder, extortion and forced displacement.
A witness quoted in the sentence described Ortiz “as a person of two faces: the good angel and the bad angel”.