- Battle lines drawn
This week produced the clearest evidence yet that the Synod Fathers are sharply divided between those who are supporting Pope Francis in his efforts to present a more pastoral vision of the Church and those determined first and foremost to emphasise its moral teaching
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Burke confirms rumours he is to leave Vatican's top court for Order of Malta
- Catholic head teachers call for more support as recruitment dries up
- Church backs ecumenical campaign for organ donation as ethical concerns are addressed
- Francis' meeting with PM of communist Vietnam 'important step towards diplomatic relations'
- Curious muddle of Lectionary translations Philip Endean SJ
- Synod final document is a setback for Francis' reforms – for now Elena Curti in Rome
- Annulments can be far from merciful Bill Wright
Satanists have returned a consecrated wafer intended for use in a black mass after a US Archdiocese threatened them with legal action.
The Archdiocese of Oklahoma City confirmed that a representative of the group Dakhma of Angra gave the host to a priest, after a lawsuit that contested that the host had been stolen was filed on Wednesday.
The Archdiocese said that it also received a signed statement saying that the group no longer possesses a consecrated host.
Archbishop Paul Coakley, confirming that lawyers for the Archdiocese had filed a lawsuit on Wednesday told the National Catholic Register: “They cannot complete their satanic ritual without a consecrated host, and they have no means of acquiring one except through theft. We are asking the court to order them to return it immediately to me.”
He asked Catholics to pray for the cancellation of this “blasphemous and obscene inversion of the Catholic Mass.”
The event’s organiser, Adam Daniels, named as a defendant in the suit, said that the host had been supplied by a friend. His organisation apparently intended to stamp on the host during the ritual.