- Prayer for today
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, is to create a new monastic community at his London residence of Lambeth Palace. Like many experiments with innovative models of religious life, it will combine aspects ancient and modern
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Kasper says Pope Francis would like to see an ‘opening’ on church teaching on divorced and remarried
- Pell adds voice to growing opposition to Kasper’s efforts to relax Communion ban for remarried divorcees
- Fleeing Iraqi Christians flood French consulate in Erbil with visa applications
- Children make noise in church – welcome it, says evangelisation bishop
- If there’s a shortage of priests in Ireland, why not ordain women to the diaconate? Michael Phelan
- Christians and Yazidis in Iraq: unwanted guests in their own country John Eibner, Christian Solidarity International
- Church should rethink its attitude to adoption Katherine Backler
Pope Francis asked people to join him in prayer today after he learned that two of his little great nephews and their mother had died in a car crash in Argentina and his nephew was in critical condition.
The dead were identified as the wife and two young sons of Pope Francis' nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio: Valeria Carmona, 39, Antonio Bergoglio, eight months, and Joseph Bergoglio, two years.
According to Argentine news reports, the 35-year-old son of the pope's late brother Alberto Bergoglio underwent emergency surgery and was on a respirator.
The crash occurred in the early morning hours on the highway between Rosario and Cordoba.