- Now the talking really begins
Pope Francis wanted frankness and openness and that is what he got. But there is also the sense that the real debate in the Church about marriage and families is only just starting
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Pope calls for abolition of death penalty and life sentences and urges Catholics to campaign against them
- Former Irish safeguarding head attacks bishops’ ‘empty gestures’
- Myanmar Church educates voters to ensure credible election
- Vatican says Italian diocese facing investigation over alleged misbehaviour of priests
Pope Francis asked people to join him in prayer today after he learned that two of his little great nephews and their mother had died in a car crash in Argentina and his nephew was in critical condition.
The dead were identified as the wife and two young sons of Pope Francis' nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio: Valeria Carmona, 39, Antonio Bergoglio, eight months, and Joseph Bergoglio, two years.
According to Argentine news reports, the 35-year-old son of the pope's late brother Alberto Bergoglio underwent emergency surgery and was on a respirator.
The crash occurred in the early morning hours on the highway between Rosario and Cordoba.