- Tide of suffering in an unholy war
Jan De Volder
As the Islamist group Boko Haram is said to be surrounding the city of Maiduguri in the latest stage of its campaign of violence against Christians and Muslims alike, an expert on the country considers why the authorities are powerless to halt its progress
- Home News
- World News
- Parish Practice
- Letters Extra
- The living Spirit
- Bishop says church hierarchy had no idea of his affair with woman six years ago
- Westminster auxiliary John Arnold appointed new Bishop of Salford
- Pope Francis likens neglect of older people in care homes to ‘hidden euthanasia’
- Iraqi Patriarch condemns US-led air strikes ‘that will prompt mass exodus’
Pope Francis asked people to join him in prayer today after he learned that two of his little great nephews and their mother had died in a car crash in Argentina and his nephew was in critical condition.
The dead were identified as the wife and two young sons of Pope Francis' nephew, Emanuel Horacio Bergoglio: Valeria Carmona, 39, Antonio Bergoglio, eight months, and Joseph Bergoglio, two years.
According to Argentine news reports, the 35-year-old son of the pope's late brother Alberto Bergoglio underwent emergency surgery and was on a respirator.
The crash occurred in the early morning hours on the highway between Rosario and Cordoba.