Hundreds of Anglicans start move to ordinariate9 March 2011
Hundreds of Anglicans have formally left the Church of England and today start their preparation to join the British ordinariate. Today, Ash Wednesday, is the deadline for groups wishing to join the Catholic Church via the new structure who wish to be received on Easter Day. Research by The Tablet found that at least 600 laity are planning to join the ordinariate and latest predictions suggest they will be joined by up to 60 clergy. Among them is Fr Ian Hellyer, a father of eight, from Bovey Tracey in Devon. It has also emerged that a church in Euston has been offered to the ordinariate. A spokesman for the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales said that St Anne's, Laxton Place, which is currently closed, is being considered for the central London group. He added that a principal church for the Ordinariate had yet to be identified.
Suspension of 21 priests revives US abuse scandal9 March 2011
The archdiocese of Philadelphia yesterday removed 21 priests from active ministry - the largest single suspension of clergy in US history. The men were named in a grand jury report published last month which indicated that the archdiocese had failed to remove clergy against whom credible allegations of sexual abuse had been lodged. The men were informed on Monday that they were being put on administrative leave. The report marked the worst crisis since the sex abuse scandal exploded in the Archdiocese of Boston in 2002.
Catholic military grandee opposes Libya no-fly zone9 March 2011
Former Chief of the Defence Staff, Lord (Charles) Guthrie has warned against imposing a no-fly zone over Libya as the country descends into civil war. Speaking to The Tablet prior to delivering a lecture on Just War Theory at Westminster Cathedral Hall yesterday evening, Lord Guthrie, a Catholic, said that the no-fly zone, under consideration by the international community to protect civilians from air strikes, would be unwise. 'I think the difficulties of doing it are much greater than some people think and I don't think that at the moment it should be done,' he said.
Pope to appear on Italian TV on Good Friday 9 March 2011
For the first time a pope will go on television and respond to questions put to him by members of the public. Pope Benedict XVI will answer three pre-submitted questions about the Passion of Jesus. His responses are to be filmed beforehand, either in his chapel or study inside the Vatican, and then aired on the afternoon of 22 April, Good Friday. A special website will be launched on Sunday to which Catholics can send suggested questions, from which three will be chosen and put to the Pope.
‘Disappointed' Australian bishop may quit early9 March 2011
One of the most progressive members of the Australian hierarchy, Bishop Patrick Power, is considering retiring when he turns 70 next February, five years earlier than required by canon law, saying he is disappointed with the Church. Bishop Power, an auxiliary bishop in Canberra and Goulburn, told The Canberra Times his concern was prompted by the parlous situation of the Diocese of Wilcannia-Forbes, which covers more than half of New South Wales but has only 20 parishes and about 15 priests, and has been without leadership since 2009.
For other recent bulletins, select from the list here: