News from Britain and Ireland

Nuns accused of stalling in response to abuse claims

30 January 2014 | by Abigail Frymann Rouch | Comments: 0

An order of nuns has been accused of supplying evidence in a “haphazard and piecemeal ­fashion” to Northern Ireland’s investigation into historic ­allegations of abuse.Christine Smith QC, the inquiry’s senior barrister, said material submitted by the Sisters of Nazareth in Northern Ireland was not properly ordered and was still being received on Friday last week despite the initial request for documents being made in November 2012. She said: “This less than wholehearted and rapid response on the part of the congregation has caused considerable difficulties to the work of the inquiry.” The Northern Ireland Historical Abuse Inquiry, led by retired judge Sir Anthony Hart in Banbridge Courthouse, County Down, is investigating abuse claims against ch ....... ....... ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........

New Subscribers click here
New users wishing to Register to read this article click here
Existing Subscribers and Registered users can login here





Post a Comment

You can post as either a regular user, or by registering as a new user...


User Comments (0)

Latest Issue
Digital/PDF Version

PDF version (iPad-friendly)

Previous Issues
Latest Tweet
Share Us
Tablet Subscription

Manage my subcription here

Manage
Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter

Sign Up
Top